July 12, 2014 was celebrated as Guru Poornima, an auspicious day to celebrate, worship and extol the greatness of the Guru. On this occasion, let’s see if you know who were the Gurus of some famous Indian personalities.
1. Who is considered the first guru of Sanatana Dharma?
A. Sage Veda Vyasa
B. Lord Brahma
C. Sage Brihaspati
2. Who was Sri Adi Shankara’s guru?
A. Sri Shankara Bhagavadpada
B. Sri Govinda Bhagavadpada
C. Lord Shiva
3. Even the Lord, in His avataras as Rama and Krishna, learned under a Guru to show the importance of a Guru to the world. Who were the gurus of Rama and Krishna?
A. Sage Brihaspati and Sage Vishwamitra
B. Sage Vasishta and Sage Sandeepani
C. Sage Gautama and Sage Kripa
4. Who was King Parikshith’s guru, who narrated Srimad Bhagavatam to him?
A. Sage Shuka
B. Sage Vyasa
C. Sage Sameeka
5. Who is considered to be symbolic of the Guru in Ramayana—who brought the Lord to Sugreeva and Sita?
6. Who was the guru of Dhruva & Prahlada?
A. Sage Durvasa
B. Sage Narada
C. Sage Pippalayana
7. Who was Swami Vivekananda’s Guru?
A. Pavhari Baba
B. Swami Ramakrishnananda
C. Ramakrishna Paramahamsa
8. Lord Krishna’s intimate friend, Uddhava, studied under this sage:
A. Sage Sandeepani
B. Sage Brihaspati
C. Sage Shukracharya
9. Both these Mahatmas are said to be the gurus of the famous king Chhatrapati Shivaji:
A. Sri Samartha Ramdas and Sant Tukkaram
B. Sri Bhadrachala Ramdas and Sant Eknath
C. Sant Jnanadev and Sant Namdev
10. The word “Guru” in Sanskrit means:
A. One who teaches
B. One who shows the way
C. One who dispels darkness and bestows liberation.
Ramya Srinivasan, San Jose CA
1-A, 2-B, 3-B, 4-A, 5-C, 6-B, 7-C, 8-B, 9-A, 10-C