This month’s quiz is on the famous Nalanda University, one of world’s most ancient universities and once a thriving center of higher education in India.
- Name the Indian state where the ruins of Nalanda University are now located.
A. West Bengal
- Which prominent dynasty of kings were primarily responsible for building the Nalanda University?
- What is the name of the library in Nalanda University?
A. Dharma Kunj
B. Rama Kunj
C. Krishna Kunj
- Name the king who established Nalanda University during his reign.
- Nalanda University had lots of stupa like structures. What does ‘stupa’ refer to?
A. Multiple flights of stairs leading to the center
B. Circular structure
C. Tomb like structure
- Nalanda University was built using ___________.
C. Red bricks
- In which town is Nalanda University located?
- The library in Nalanda was the largest and oldest in the world and was known for its repository. How many buildings were part of the library?
- In which century was Nalanda University first established?
A. Third Century
B. Fifth Century
C. Eighth Century
- How many students and teachers were enrolled in Nalanda University in the seventh century?
A. 5000 students and 300 teachers
B. 7500 students and 700 teachers
C. 10000 students and 2000 teachers
- Courses taught at Nalanda covered every field of learning. What were some of the many subjects that were taught at Nalanda University?
A. Science and Philosophy
B. Astronomy, Logic and Medicine
C. All of the above
- Name the famous traveler from China who visited Nalanda University, studied there, and wrote detailed descriptions about the University.
B. Tang Zen
C. Xiao Chen
- University attracted many students and scholars from different countries. Name some of the countries from where students and scholars enrolled in Nalanda
A. China, Korea, Japan, Tibet and Indonesia
B. America, Africa and Europe
C. Australia, Singapore and Brazil
Answers: 1-C, 2-B, 3-A, 4-C, 5-A, 6-C, 7-A, 8-A, 9-B, 10-C, 11-C, 12-A, 13-A
Ramya Srinivasan, Bay Area, CA
Pic Courtesy: https://www.flickr.com/photos/princeroy/93462777/