Brihadeeswara Temple, Thanjavur
This month’s quiz is based on Brihadeeswara temple, one of the Great Living Chola temples built during the Chola dynasty era.
1. In which state are Brihadeeswara, Gangaikonda Cholapuram, and Airavetswara temples
b. Tamil Nadu
2. Name the presiding deity in Brihadeeswara temple.
a. Lord Rama
b. Lord Shiva
c. Lord Krishna
3. Brihadeeswara temple is known as the __________________.
a. Dakshina Meru
b. Uttara Meru
c. Paschima Meru
4. Which great king of Chola dynasty built the Brihadeeswara temple?
a. Krishnadeva Raya
b. Chatrapathi Shivaji
c. Raja Raja Chola
5. What does the term ‘Brihat’ in Brihadeeswara temples signify?
6. The _______________ of Brihadeeswara temple is one of the tallest in the world.
a. The vimana (tower above the sanctum sanctorum)
b. The temple pillar
c. The temple flagstaff
7. How is Lord Shiva worshiped in Brihadeeswara temple?
a. Shiva Linga
b. In the form of Lord Nataraja
c. In the form of Dakshinamuthy
8. The Brihadeeswara temple is also commonly known as
a. The Unique Temple
b. The Big Temple
c. The Great Temple
9. How tall are the sculpted Dwarapalakas (guardians of the sanctum) of the temple?
a. 6 ft
b. 12 ft
c. 3 ft
10. Name the town in Tamil Nadu where Brihadisvara temple is located.
11. Which of these in the Brihadeeswara temple was carved out of a single stone (monolithic)?
12. How old is Brihadeeswara temple?
a. About 300 years old
b. About 700 years old
c. About 1000 years old
Ramya Srinivasan, San Jose CA
1-b, 2-b, 3-a, 4-c, 5-a, 6-a, 7-a, 8-b, 9-b, 10-a, 11-a, 12-c