This month the auspicious occasion of Tulasi Kalyanam or Tulasi Vivah is celebrated across the world by Hindus. Tulasi is a holy plant who is considered to be an incarnation of the Lord’s consort. The plant is worshipped and revered by Hindus and also has a lot of medicinal properties scientifically. Let’s test your knowledge about Tulasi.
1. Which type of Tulasi is commonly used for worship?
2. Name the Lord who is most commonly worshipped by offering Tulasi leaves
A. Lord Shiva
B. Lord Ganesha
C. Lord Krishna
3. Tulasi is commonly referred by this name in the west
A. Curry leaves
B. Holy Basil
C. Coriander leaves
4. Who was Tulasi during lord Krishna’s incarnation?
5. Worship of Tulasi is considered very sacred in this month of Hindu calendar
6. Shyama Tulasi is also commonly known as
A. Krishna Tulasi
B. Vishnu Tulasi
C. Karpoor Tulasi
7. How tall is a Tulasi plant on average?
A. One to three feet
B. Five to seven feet
C. More than eight feet
8. Tulasi Vivah is normally performed during which part of the day?
9. What does the term ‘Vrnda’ connote
A. Goddess of education
B. Goddess of plants
C. Goddess of earth
Ramya Srinivasan, San Jose, CA
1-A, 2-C, 3-B, 4-A, 5-C, 6-A, 7-A, 8-B, 9-B