This month’s quiz is based on the Somnath temple, known for its magnificent architecture, intricate carvings, and spectacular doors and mandapam.
1. Name the state in India where the Somnath temple is located:
a. Madhya Pradesh
2. In which particular region of this state is Somnath temple located?
3. Name the main deity who is worshiped in Somnath temple.
4. Somnath temple is considered to be the ________________ among the twelve
Jyotirlinga shrines of Lord Shiva.
5. Somnath is also known as _____________________.
a. Prabhasa Kshetra
6. What is the significance of Prabhasa Kshetra?
a. Lord Rama stayed here for 2 years
b. Lord Krishna departed to Vaikunta from this place
c. Lord Vamana was born here
7. Which deity does Soma refer to?
a. Sun God
b Wind God
c. Moon God
8. Name the type of architecture that is evidently seen in Somnath temple.
9. What does the term ‘Shikhara’ refer to in reference to temple architecture?
a. Inner Chamber
b. Temple Tower
10. How tall is the shikhara in Somnath Temple?
a. Nearly 30m tall
b. Nearly 35m tall
c. Nearly 50m tall
11. What does the term ‘Jyotirlinga’ refer to?
a. Pillar of light
b. Pillar of knowledge
c. Pillar of goodness
Compiled by Ramya Srinivasan, San Jose CA
1 – c, 2 – b, 3 – b, 4 – a, 5 – a, 6 – b, 7 – c, 8 – a, 9 – b, 10 – c, 11 – a