This month’s quiz is based on Pattachitra Art, a popular and ancient form of tribal art that originated in the eastern part of India.
1. Name the state in India where Pattachitra painting originated.
c. Tamil Nadu
2. What does the term ‘Patta’ in Pattachitra refer to?
b. Mud walls
3. What is the Sanskrit word for painting?
4. What is usually the main theme of Pattachitra paintings?
a. Goddess Durga
b. Lord Jagannath
c. Lord Shiva
5. Pattachitra paintings are known for their ____________________.
a. Floral borders
b. Colorful border designs
c. Borderless designs
6. In which century did Pattachitra paintings originate?
7. Pattachitra painters are known as _______________________.
8. Pattachitra painting profiles are typically depicted with ____________________.
a. Short ears
b. Long hands and legs
c. Elongated eyes
9. Pattachitra paint colors are nature-based. What is the ingredient used to make white color?
a. Rice flour
b. Conch shells
10. In which village in Odisha are the best Pattachitra paintings found?
11. How long does it typically take to create an original Pattachitra painting?
a. Three days
b. Fifteen days to one month
c. Two to three months
1-b, 2-a, 3-c, 4-b, 5-a, 6-b, 7-a, 8-c, 9-b, 10-c, 11-b.
Compiled by Ramya Srinivasan, San Jose, Bay Area, CA