Sri Vishnupriya, the consort of Sri Nimai Pandit (Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu), was a storehouse of great qualities like sacrifice for the right reason, detachment from the worldly things, epitome of unconditional love and led a virtuous life filled with compassion.
1.Name the birth town of Sri Vishnupriya.
2. What was the name of Sri Vishnupriya’s father?
a. Raja Pandit Sanatana Misra
b. Jagannath Misra
c. Srinivasa Pandit
3. In which state is Navadweep located?
a. Madhya Pradesh
b. West Bengal
4. When Sri Nimai Pandit left home to take up sanyasa (and become Sri Krishna Chaitanya Mahaprabhu), how did his consort Sri Vishnupriya react?
a. She was heartbroken but knew that her husband was born for a greater noble cause and sacrificed her relationship with him for the sake of the world
b. She gave up her life
c. She went looking for him and begged him to come back home
5. How did Sri Vishnupriya lead a life after Mahaprabhu embraced the path of sanyasa?
a. She led the life of a normal house-holder
b. She led a frugal life, shunned all jewelry, and constantly chanted the Mahamantra
c. She also embraced the path of Sanyasa
6. How did Sri Vishnupriya eat every day, after Mahaprabhu took sanyasa?
a. She ate only fruits and milk every night
b. She celebrated her husband’s sanyasa by cooking a feast every day, that she would then use to feed the poor people in the village.
c. She would pick up a grain of rice, chant the Mahamantra and drop it into a bowl. She would continue to do this, and finally cook and eat only the amount of rice collected in the bowl.
7. Once when Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu came back to Navadweep, Sri Vishnupriya was overjoyed when she came to know of his arrival. Although she was not supposed to meet her husband, who had renounced his family, she could not help herself and ran outside and fell at his feet, sobbing uncontrollably. Mahaprabhu did not even look at her. But how did he bless her?
a. By giving her mantra upadesa
b. By dropping a Japa Mala on her neck
c. By blessing her with his Divine Padukas
8. What happened to Sri Vishnupriya when she learnt that Mahaprabhu had merged with the Lord Jagannath in Puri?
a. She swooned and fainted
b. She gave up her life
c. She led her remaining life in the thought of Mahaprabhu
9. In which century was Sri Vishnupriya born?
a. 16th century
b. 17th century
c. 18th century
10. It is believed that Sri Vishnupriya was born on the auspicious occasion of ____________.
a. Bahula Panchami
b. Aadi Pooram
c. Krishna Janmashtami
Answers: 1-b, 2-a, 3-b, 4-a, 5-b, 6-c, 7-c, 8-c, 9-a, 10-a
Compiled by Ramya Srinivasan, San Jose, CA
Illustration by Lalitha Venkatraman, Richmond VA
Click here to go back to the Sep 2021 newsletter page: