This month’s quiz is based on Sri Ammalu Ammal, a great devotee who lived (almost incognito) amongst us.
1. Name the birth place of Sri Ammalu Ammal
2. In which year was Sri Ammalu Ammal born?
3. Sri Ammalu Ammal was born to a pious _________ couple.
4. Girls, in those times, were married when they were quite young. Similarly, Ammalu Ammal too was married at a very tender age. And, within a very short time, she lost her husband. Her own family and community started considering her inauspicious from then on and tormented her by words and deeds. Driven to despair, she attempted suicide.
Name the lord who came in her dreams and forbade herself from killing herself.
a. Lord Parasurama
b. Lord Rama
c. Lord Narasimha
5. What was the ordinance that Lord Narasimha ordained on Sri Ammalu Ammal?
a. He commanded her to sing his praises and glories
b. He also promised that her basic necessities of food and clothing would always be taken care of.
c. All of the above
6. The above incident reminds us of a similar incident from _________ life.
a. Bhadrachalam Ramadas
b. Narsi Mehta
c. Bhakta Meera
7. Sri Ammalu Ammal is considered to be an incarnation of _________________.
a. Sri Purandara Dasa
b. Sri Thiagaraja
c. Sri Kanakadasa
8. Name the holy kshetra where Sri Ammalu Ammal spent several years lovingly serving
the presiding deity .
9. Name the lord whom Sri Ammalu Ammal worshipped for the rest of her life.
a. Lord Rama
b. Lord Panduranga
c. Lord Jagnannath
10. Kanchi Maha Periyava had great regard for Ammalu Ammal and always spoke highly of her. He referred to Sri Ammalu Ammal as ‘NithyOpavasi’. What is the meaning of this
a. One who fasts everyday
b. One who lives long
c. One who is a great devotee of the Lord Panduranga
11. Sri Ammalu Ammal has composed tens of thousands of kirtans. In which language has she predominantly composed the kirtans?
12. Sri Ammalu Ammal had great fondness and reverence for HH Sri Sri Muralidhara Swamiji. In 2002, when she had darshan of Sri Kalyana Srinivasa Perumal (Sri Swamiji’s deity) in Madhurapuri Ashram, a beautiful kirtan poured out of her lips.
Name the kirtan she composed on Sri Kalyana Srinivasa Perumal.
a. Nambida Varige
b. Srirangaraja Srirangaraja
c. Nakku Kala Murtiyu Neene
13. How old was Sri Ammalu Ammal when she attained the holy feet of the Lord?
14. Sri Ammalu Ammal attained the holy feet of the Lord on an auspicious day. Name the auspicious occasion.
a. Panguni Uthram
b. Adi Pooram
c. Shravana Dwadasi
Answers: 1-b, 2-c, 3-a, 4-c, 5-c, 6-c, 7-a, 8-a, 9-b,10-a, 11-b,12-b,13-c, 14-a
Compiled by Ramya Srinivasan, Bay Area, CA
Illustration by Lalitha Raman Richmond, VA