We are starting this new year with a new quiz series on Sri Madhurageetham, the divine compositions of HH Maharanyam Sri Sri Muralidhara Swamiji that have all emerged from his personal experience. Quiz for this month is based on Guru Kirtans from Sri Madhurageethams.
1. Name the kirtan where Sri Swamiji in the Pallavi, exhorts the mind to meditate on the Guru.
a. Kuppayil Vizhinda Oru Malar
b. Chintayare Sri Gurum
c. Varuvai Varuvai Gurnatha
2. In which kirtan does the fortune teller sing the greatness of a Sadguru?
a. Kurukku Vazhi Thedum
b. Pratyaksha Deivame
c. Unnatha Guru Mandalam
3. In the above kirtan (answer to q2), what does the fortune teller convey about the pAda tIrtham (holy water that has washed the feet) of the Sadguru?
a. It is verily the waters from Ganga and Yamuna
b. It is verily the waters from Cauvery
c. It is verily the waters from Godavari
4. What ragam is the kirtan ‘Pratyaksha DeivamE’ set to?
5. Name the kirtan where the phrase ‘divya nAma siddhAntham seydha nam Gurunatha’ is present.
a. Guruvarul ondre ariven
b. Bhagavan Nama Siddhantam Seydha
c. Gurunathan Thaal Panivay
6. Which of these kirtans does not refer to Sri Bhagavan Nama Bodhendra Saraswathi Swamigal?
a. Sadguru Padukam
b. Bhaktim Dehi Shri Guro
c. Bhagyam Aho Bhagyam
7. In which kirtan does Sri Swamiji address a parrot?
a. Guru Krupaiyai Maravadiru Maname
b. Gurunatha Gurunatha Endra Sol Inikkude
c. Gurunathan Vazhi Gurunathan Vazhi
8. Name the deity who is referred to in the kirtan ‘Gurunathan Vazhi’.
a. Lord Guruvayurappan
b. Lord Jagannatha
c. Lord Pandurangan
9. In which kirtan does Sri Swamiji offer his prostrations to all the ardent devotees of the Lord and seek their blessings?
a. Golokam Sendru Vanden
b. Unnatha Guru Mandalam
c. Tvameva Sadguru
10. Name the kirtan where Sri Swamiji conveys the beautiful precept that there is no liberation without Sadguru -’guruvillAmal mukthiyillai’.
a. Guru Arul Ondre Ariven
b. Guruvin Arul Petravare
c. Dakshinamurthe Namosthuthe
11. In this Namavali, _______Sri Swamiji says that the heart verily becomes Brindavan only because of Sadguru’s grace.
a. Brindavaname Un Maname
b. Brindavanam Bhaje Brindavanam
c. Tava Smaranam Dehi
12. In which kirtan does Sri Swamiji mention that the one who earlier came down as Sri Adi Shankara has now incarnated as ‘Chandrasekhara’, extolling the greatness of Jagadguru Shri Chandrasekharendra Saraswati Mahaswamigal.
a. Chandrasekharam Aham Pranamami
b. Chandrasekhara Chandrasekhara
c. Shri Shankara Guruvaram Bhajami
13. What is the beautiful precept that is conveyed by Sri Swamiji in this kirtan, ‘Hariyum
a. Lord Hari and the Guru are one and the same.
b. Guru seva is verily Lord Hari’s seva
c. Guru’s krupa is verily Lord Hari’s krupa
d. All of the above
14. In which kirtan does Sri Swamiji exhort the mind to always remember Sadguru’s grace?
a. Guru Krupaiyai Maravadiru
b. Kuppayil Vizhinda Oru Malar
c. Gurunatha Gurunatha Endru Kondadiduvom
15. A flower fell tragically into garbage; but it was magically lifted higher and higher till it
adorned the temple gopuram! How could this happen? Name the kirtan that beautifully
brings out this touching meaning.
a. Kuppayil Vizhunda
b. Tvameva Gatir Mama hey Gurunatha
c. Sadguru Padukam
16. In this kirtan, Sri Swamiji glorifies Sri Marudanallur Sadguru Swamigal.
a. Chintayare Sri Gurum
b. Bhajare Manasa Sri Venkataramam
C. Bhagyam Aho Bhagyam
Compiled by Ramya Srinivasan, San Jose, CA
Answers: 1-b, 2-a, 3-a, 4-a, 5-c, 6-a, 7-c, 8-c, 9-b, 10-b, 11-a, 12-b, 13-d,14-a, 15-a,16-b
Click here to go back to the Jan 2022 newsletter page: