This month’s quiz is on the world famous Ajanta and Ellora Caves which exhibit magnificent Indian paintings and rock sculptures.
1. In which Indian state are the Ajanta and Ellora caves located?
a. Madhya Pradesh
2. Ajanta and Ellora are _________ caves and are among the most popular tourist attractions in the world.
c. sea caves
3. On which river bank are the Ajanta caves located?
4. How many caves are there at Ajanta?
b. Twenty five
5. The Ajanta caves takes the shape of ____________.
a. A Circle
b. A Horse-shoe
c. An Octagon
6. What form of fine arts are depicted at Ajanta and Ellora Caves?
a. Magnificent Paintings and Wall-Carved Sculptures
b. Paleolithic Art
7. How did Ajanta caves get its name?
a. In memory of a girl named Ajanta
b. From a nearby village named Ajintha
c. In memory of a British officer
8. What do the paintings in Ajanta Caves reveal to everyone about Indian art?
a. Use of natural pigments, unique and skillful art through ancient primitive tools.
b. Use of complex painting techniques
c. Simple rock art
9. What is the original ancient name for Ellora?
10. Name the world famous, unique monument in Ellora Cave?
a. Ganesha Temple
b. Durga Temple
c. Kailasa Temple
11. What is the greatness of Kailasa temple in Ellora Caves?
a. Unique stucco sculpture in the form of a wheel.
b. The largest sculpture of Lord Shiva along with Parvati, Ganesha and Muruga
c. An engineering and architectural marvel in the form of the largest single-rock sculpture in the form of chariot, dedicated to Lord Shiva.
12. Name the hills on which Ellora Caves are located.
a. Parsik hills
b. Charanandri hills
c. Malabar hills
13. Name the hills on which Ajanta Caves are located.
a. Sahyadri hills
b. Satpura hills
c. Baner hills
14. What is the significance of Rameshwar cave in Ellora?
a. A child Ganesha sculpture
b. An eight-armed dancing Lord Shiva sculpture
c. A Rama sculpture
15. When were the Ajanta Caves first discovered and by whom?
a. In 1801 by an Indian farmer
b. In 1810 by an Indian archeologist
c. In 1819 by a British officer on a tiger hunt
16. Name the approximate timeline when the sculpture and painting work commenced in Ajanta and Ellora caves.
a. Third century AD to Fourth Century AD
b. First century BC to Fourth century BC
c. Second century BC to Sixth Century AD
17. How many out of 100 caves are open to the public in Ellora?
a. Thirty one
b. Thirty Four
18. How long did it approximately take to create the sculptures and paintings in
a. Five hundred years
b. Seven hundred years
c. Nine hundred years
Compiled by Ramya Srinivasan, San Jose CA
1 – C, 2 – B, 3 – C, 4 – C, 5 – B, 6 – A, 7 – B, 8 – A, 9 – C, 10 – C, 11 – C, 12 – B, 13 – A, 14 – B, 15 – C, 16 – C, 17 – B, 18 – B