June 29 was the auspicious occasion of Ashada Ekadasi (Ekadasi day in the month of Ashada). This is a holy day for Hindus the world over and has many significances in different holy spots in India, the most famous of them being the Varkari Yatra in the state of Maharashtra. Let’s see how much you know about this day!
1. What is another name for Ashada Ekadasi?
A. Vaikunta Ekadasi
B. Shayana Ekadasi
C. Uttana Ekadasi
2. What does Ashada Ekadasi signify?
A. The end of Dakshinayanam
B. The beginning of Dakshinayanam
C. The beginning of Uttarayanam
3. In which kshetra is Ashada Ekadasi celebrated in a grand manner?
4. What does everyone do during the Varkari Yatra procession to Pandharpur?
A. Chant and sing the divine names of the Lord
B. Perform a special kind of yagna
C. Take a holy dip in the Ganges
5. What is the significance of Ashada Ekadasi in Puri Kshetra?
A. People conclude their Pada Yatra
B. It is the culminating day of Rathotsav [Festival of Chariots]
C. Devotees of Lord Jagannath break their month long fast [Vratha]
6. Name the ancient king who was known for his steadfastness on Ekadasi fast.
7. What day of the month is counted as “Ekadasi”?
A. 10th day after full-moon or new-moon
B. 11th day after full-moon or new-moon
C. 9th day after full-moon or half-moon
8. What holy 4-month period begins from Ashada Ekadasi?
9. The Varkari Yatra of Lord Panduranga’s devotees begins on Ashada Ekadasi from which place?
Ramya Srinivasan, San Jose, CA
1-B, 2-B, 3-A, 4-A, 5-B, 6-A, 7-B, 8-C, 9-C