This month’s quiz is based on the second Brihadeeswara temple located at Gangaikonda Cholapuram, the second of the three ‘Great Living Chola Temples’ built during the Chola dynasty era.
1. Name the great Chola King who built the Brihadeeswara temple in Gangaikonda Cholapuram.
a. Raja Raja Chola
b. Rajendra Chola
c. Vijayalaya Chola
2. Why is this place named as ‘Gangaikonda Cholapuram’?
a. Named after Rajendra Chola, who took a pilgrimage to river Ganga
b. Named after Rajendra Chola, who took an expedition to river Ganga and defeated many kingdoms and brought water from Ganga to Brihadeeshwara temple
c. Because Rajendra Chola sought the blessings of river Ganga before building the temple.
3. This Gangaikonda Cholapuram Temple is dedicated to ____________________.
a. Lord Rama
b. Lord Shiva
c. Lord Krishna
4. In which century was the Gangaikonda Cholapuram temple built?
5. The Gangaikonda Cholapuram temple is a classic example of _______________ architecture.
6. Name the stone that was used for building the Gangaikonda Cholapuram temple.
7. The temple tower in Gangaikonda Cholapuram temple is similar to _____________
a.Srivilliputur Andal Temple
b.Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple, Srirangam
c.Brihadeeswara Temple, Tanjavur
8.Gangaikonda Cholapuram temple architecture is primarily based on a ___________ shaped design plan.
9. Gangaikonda Cholapuram has a ________ storey temple tower (vimanam).
10.The ____________________ in Gangaikonda Cholapuram temple is the largest among the temples in Tamil Nadu.
11. Name the well that is located in the temple premises and has a lion face guarding its steps.
b. Ganga theertham
c. Pushkar theertham
12. Beautiful sculpture at the temple premises is seen depicting the coronation of King
Rajendra Chola. Which deities are shown coronating King Rajendra?
a.Lord Brahma and Goddess Saraswati
b.Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati
c.Lord Vishnu and Goddess Lakshmi
13. A big Nandi carved out from a single limestone stands in front of the sanctum sanctorum. What is the unique architecture nuance that is seen in this Nandi?
a. The Nandi stands guard to the Shiva Linga
b. The sunlight that falls on Nandi and is, in turn, reflected on the Shiva Linga. This enables everyone to have the darshan of Shiva linga even if there is no light nearby.
c. It is the largest Nandi in the Chola temples.
Ramya Srinivasan, San Jose CA
1-b, 2-b, 3-b, 4-c, 5-a, 6-b, 7-c, 8-c, 9-b, 10-a, 11-a, 12-b, 13-b